Skype is one of the most popular telecommunication applications which are facilitating users to make free video calls and voice calls in between two computers, smartphones tablets, or any other device using internet services. Here, you can send messages instantly. Share files, make conference calls, etc. All the platforms are supporting this application, whether it is Android, IOS, Windows, Mac, etc. you can download it from the Play Store, Microsoft Store, app store, or from the website. It is effortless to install and use only. You have to create an id with a valid email id and a good strength password. No matter why you are searching to delete your Skype account, but you can’t delete your ID just like some other social accounts. Make sure you might have to lose access to Microsoft account, Don’t scratch we have a solution.
But, instead of all the useful properties, there might a time comes when you don’t want to use it, or you want to delete your Id. In that case, you can uninstall Skype, but still, you won’t be able to delete it permanently because this application is not providing any direct platform to remove or delete your Skype account. So, another best alternative is that you can remove all the relevant information from there, and nobody will be able to identify you on Skype.
Still, anyhow if you want to delete your Skype Id, then in this article, we will discuss the same how to close Skype account or how to remove a Skype account. Here, closing and deleting means the same so don’t get confused.
Delete Skype Account Permanently
This application never allows you to delete your account permanently, but you can do it. Before closing, it is suggested to identify the reason why you want to delete Skype id. If you don’t want to continue for some time or you don’t want to let any new user discover you there, then instead of deleting the profile, you can hide as well.
Follow the steps to hide the Skype profile:
- Visit https://www.skype.com/en on the web browser.
- Click on Sign in
- Login with registered id and password
- Select My Account given in menu option
- Open Edit Profile from Settings and Preferences
- Untick the box given next to “Appear in search results and suggestions” given in the Discoverability column.
- Your profile is completely hidden to the other users.
Hiding your profile was just an alternative because some of us want to delete because we are not aware that hiding is also an option available. But, we are here to discuss how to delete a Skype account? Let’s check the method of how you can do so. But, it is very much clear there is no direct option to delete.
Before deleting it is suggested to do some critical work to valid any regret later:
- Remove Profile Picture
- Remove all profile details
- change your status to offline or Invisible
- Sign out yourself from all the devices
- Unlink Microsoft and Skype to remove the added contacts
- Cancel all the active subscriptions
Remove Profile Picture
Profile pictures might reveal your identity even if you removed all the information from providers. So to remove profile picture follow instructions:
- Open skype.com to the web browser
- Click on your profile picture, and then press “Use Skype Online.”
- Click on 3 horizontal dots given on the right side
- Now, go to the Settings and select “Account and Profile” and then click on Profile Picture
- Click on the pencil to edit, and a menu will appear
- Click here on Remove Photo
- It will ask you for confirmation, “are you sure you want to remove your profile picture?” select Remove.
- Now, your profile picture will be removed.
Remove all profile details from Skype account
- Open the website from the web browser
- Click on Profile Picture the go the My Account
- Scroll to the end and open Edit Profile given inside Settings and Preferences
- Go to the Personal Information section and click on Edit Profile Button
- Remove all the information and contact from details section (but you cannot remove Skype Name)
- To save all the changes, click on the Save button.
Change your status to offline or Invisible
- login with registered email and password and click on Profile picture
- Click on the current status and select Invisible option
- Now your status will be updated instantly.
Sign out yourself from all the devices
It is essential to sign out yourself from all the devices which you are using to access because if in any device you logged in accidentally or intentionally within 30 days because it may reactivate your account again. Steps to sign out from all devices:
- Log in with registered email and password and select Profile picture or icon
- A menu will be open inside that click on Sign out option
- It will ask you for confirmation, select Sign out
- Now, you will be signed out of all the devices.
Unlink Microsoft and Skype account to remove the added contacts
- Click on your Profile Picture and scroll down till the end
- Click on Account Settings given under Settings and Preferences
- Inside that, next to your Microsoft account click on Unlink option
- It will ask you for confirmation click on Continue to confirm to unlink, and it will be delinked from Microsoft.
Cancel the active subscriptions
Now finally, you have to cancel the subscription to stop because it may auto-renew, and you may get charged for the same. Follow steps to do so:
- Go to the Account Settings option
- Click on the subscription you want to cancel
- Select Cancel Subscription
- Now, “Thank but no thanks, I still want to cancel” to give final confirmation
- Now, you will be unsubscribed from the active subscription.
If you are using Microsoft account to sign on Skype, then you have to close Microsoft account in order to close Skype permanently. After closing Microsoft account, the company will keep your account for the next 60 days; in between this duration, if you want to reactivate your account, and then re-login. You are to revive; otherwise, let’s wait for the next 60 days to delete it.
Now your Skype profile will be deleted wait patiently for the next 30 days to delete permanently and do not try to login in between 30 days duration because it will be reactivated again. And after 30 days, your profile will disappear from Skype, and nobody will be able to find you over there.